Milestones of the Week: Jackson is now pushing himself around the play mat on his tummy, head down. It looks uncomfortable, but it gets him where he’s going. He also started rolling from his tummy to his back. Emilia laughed for the first time.

I’m getting a little desperate about this whole sleeping-through-the-night thing. It does seem like they wake more now than ever. They all sleep best in the beginning of the night, about 7-8pm to 11pm-midnight. Then the boys wake up to eat, and Emilia continues to sleep. The boys wake every 2-3 hours for the rest of the night…if I’m lucky!! Sometimes they wake up even MORE often than that. They want to eat and usually can’t be soothed w/o a bottle. Emilia ALWAYS wakes around 5am to eat, but then goes back to bed until 6:30, the official wake time. All babies get up for the day at 6:30am. Since the start of this week, I’m not able to get them eating their morning bottles. I figure it’s because they eat all night (I offer a minimum amount, like 2 ounces, but sometimes they scream until I give them the full 4). They all have their last 2-4 ounces between 4 and 5 am and don’t want to eat again until 8 or 9 am, yet they insist on getting up by 6:30 am.

I’m very confused about what to do. Could use some advice on this. I feel like they should be sleeping more and eating less at night. I find it particularly frustrating that they started skipping their morning bottles this week. Everything seems backwards.

• JP says:

So sorry about the sleep thing but your kids are still very little…of course all kids are different but with my boys I didn’t really feel well rested after the night until at around 8months, when one started sleeping through the night and the other two were only waking up once. Right now two of my boys sleep through the night and one still gets up and nurses once at night (they are almost 1yr). Often they regress and will wake up more, I think because of teething or growth spurts.  When I was pregnant I read all about sleep training using the Babywise crying it out method, I never had the heart to try it but many mothers swear by it so it might be worth a shot?

• CG says:

I realize that you’ve probably already tried this, but have you tried cramming them with food in the evening, between 4-7pm, doing 2-3 separate feeds (as in, basically, feeding all the time?).  Some say this helps them, kind of works with my twins but they still get up during the night at almost 13 weeks.  Also, do your kids have gas?  Mine wake up alllllll night (like, 7-8 times per night each) crying with gas pain, and I think most of the time they are not hungry.  I haven’t figured out how to solve this (one of them can handle mylicon drops after each feed, which helps, but the other one vomits from the drops) but at least it’s not hunger.  Sorry not to be more helpful :(

• Shannon says:

I have 3 1/2 year old twins, and used the Babywise method to get them sleeping through the night by 10 weeks. I am wondering if the boys just need more to eat during the day, since your daughter sleeps through the night.  I would continue to start their day at the same time each day (regardless of when they wake during the night), offer the bottle at 6:30, then continue with 3 hour schedule. Also, when you feed them at 8 pm, wake them at 11pm (if they don’t wake on their own) and give them as much as they want to eat. I’m not sure limiting the amount they eat in hopes of them not getting uesd to it is working.  Good Luck!

• Your kids are kind of in an in between time.  They are old enough that they might be capable of sleeping through the night or maybe only need one feeding.  They aren’t quite old enough that I would suggest  full fledged crying it out.  I think you need to stop feeding the boys every 2 hours, though.  That is way too close together.  If they ate every 2 hours at night of course they don’t want their morning bottle.  I would start trying to up their daytime bottles.   Maybe add a half ounce to each one and see if you can get more calories in to them during the day.  If they wake at 2 hours during the night, I would consider just trying to pacify them in some way until at least 3 hours.  You may end up having to CIO eventually to get them to sleep though the night but they are just too young for that right now.  If Emilia always wakes at 5am to eat and you are doing a 3 hour schedule, consider making their first bottle of the day at 8am.  Just because they wake up at 6:30 doesn’t mean you need to feed them then if they just ate.  Before my kids were sleeping through the night I was kind of flexible with our daytime schedule.  They always ate every 3, 3.5 or 4  hours (depending what schedule we were on) but the start time of those feedings was based on when they ate last at night.  Once they were sleeping through the night our daytime schedule stablilized and became much more rigid.

• Tracy Fix says:

My twin boys were about 4 months old when they finally slept through the night. I had to put them in separate cribs and feed them separately throughout the night to get them to sleep through. I tried the 7pm bedtime at first, but that never worked for us. We would cluster feed them starting around 5pm. Play, read books and then feed again. At around 7 pm we would do baths, read and sing and then feed again. We would lay them down for the night around 9 or 10 pm. It took a while to get into this schedule, but it worked! They would wake again at about 5am sometimes if we were lucky 6am! I would feed them again at this time play for about an hour and then we all would sleep in until about 8am! I was lucky to have a 4 year old who would sleep in until about 8 or 9am! Now they go to bed at about 7:30pm and wake at 6:30am! They are now 18 months. There is a light at the end of the tunnel, but you just have to wait to see it! I wish you the best with this sleeping feat…it is so different for each child.

You don’t know me, but your aunt told me about you and your blog last spring!

• Michelle says:

Hi Esther,
    I agree with Tracy.  I did best with my twins to cluster feed from early evening and then play play play until bath time.  Then I feed again and put to bed. That would be about 10pm.  They then don’t wake until about 5-6am.  There were nights though when they still wake for a feed. It takes time.  I also think when they wake through the night I would  give them a full feed even if its not time for a feed again yet. Hang in there. I know it tough and it is often hard to know what they want and what is the best thing to do. Don’t get hung up on the morning feed.  Maybe make the ‘official’ first feed of the day a little later.  Just remember its just a phase and it will pass before you know it and then it will be something else completely different.  All children are different and there are no hard and fast rules and no right or wrong.  Go with the flow and enjoy.  I personally think you are doing a great job.  You babies look happy and healthy. You must be doing everything right by them.

• Shawn Siddall says:

Hi Jay,

What you are experiencing is very normal…not surprising the boys are exhibiting more piggish behavior than the girl…things you can try…warm bath with soothing baby massage followed by large bottle at night…if you’re giving on average 4 oz try upping it to 6…the more full they are the longer they will sleep…however…babies often don’t begin to sleep through the night until 6 months…they are growing at the rate of a whale at this stage in life…understandably frustrating…but give the lil guys some slack…they’re growing :)

And please don’t think i’m discounting your pain…one baby is enough to make you want to jump off a cliff some days…can’t imagine three…you are super parents indeed.

Thanks Shawn. Esther has a hard time falling asleep so it’s been toughest on her. They, as everyone knows, will eventually sleep even more at night at some point. We’ll both be happy when that happens! Esther because she’s getting more rest and me because Esther is getting more rest ;-)

Okay, since you asked for help…The sleeping thing has got to be the most stressful thing for new parents. I was a bigger wreck with my first child  than I was with my triplets– mostly because by the time I had my triplets I’d been through the process twice already and knew what to expect. My only advice is to go for the long sleep between 11 p.m. and 5 or 6 a.m. before trying to get them to sleep from 7 p.m. to 7 a.m. That may mean trying to keep them awake more between the feeding around 7 p.m. and the one that happens around 11 p.m.– even if they’re not happy about it! We also gave baths every night before the 11 p.m. feeding, just to help establish that this was bedtime with a recognizable routine. I also think that if you are going to feed at night, give a full feeding. I honestly never heard of a “snack bottle” until recently– I think a small feeding to a hungry baby is probably just frustrating and is not helping them to sleep longer. Once the 11p.m. to 5 or 6 a.m. sleep was established (with all 5 of my kids, this was done by 7 or 8 weeks), we just backed the bedtime up by 30 minute intervals until they were going to bed routinely by around 7. This process took until they were 3-4 months old. By 4 months I could put all of my kids to bed from 7-7 with very little waking at night and very little crying. Sleep deprivation is hard, but it will get better and you will feel like yourself again. :-)

• JoSue Rudd says:

We used the Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child book which is opposite in method to Babywise.  Babywise is food based whereas my book is sleep based.  Our triplets were sleeping through the night (12 hours) at 8 weeks, 10 weeks, and 12 weeks.  We’re under the belief that more food does not equal more sleep.  Sleeping long periods of time is a learned thing and night waking is merely habitual.  Again, this is all my opinion which is largely based off this book.  You’ve just got to break them of their waking habits and train their bodies to go longer without food.   We didn’t do much crying it out except for with the last baby who cried one night for three hours.  Other than that, we trained with pacifiers.  There’s a lot more so let me know if you’re interested or if you’re going to try another method.

I agree with JoSue on the value of the Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child book. I found Babywise to be helpful in establishing a daytime routine (sleep, eat, play), but thought the Healthy Sleep book helped me to understand what types of sleep behaviors were developmentally appropriate for my kids as they grew.