The triplets saw the doc for the first time since they were born (way late, but too complicated to explain). The babies are doing excellent. They all weigh 13 lbs. Emilia’s in the 80th percentile for weight, and 50th for height. The twin boys are in the 60th percentile for weight, and 40th for height. When we brought them home, they were all in the 5th percentile, so they’ve improved beyond all expectations!!

This week I’ve been working especially hard to help the babies sleep through the night. It’s one of the biggest goals of MOMs. The babies currently live in the dining room, so I can hear them from the couch. At night, I hunch around in the dark, not making a peep. I keep the lights off, make bottles in the dark, and nap on the couch, praying for silence. When babies awake, I wait a few minutes to make sure they’re up (because sometimes aren’t, and just need to resettle, and sometimes you can ignore them for an hour or more). When I get someone up to eat, I don’t stimulate him or her, only offer 1 or 2 ounces, and hope eyes stay closed. Then I swaddle, quickly burp, and put them right back to bed. I go back to the couch hoping for silence from the other two.

I won’t get much sleep until they do, unfortunately. I’m pretty darn tired. From Sunday to Wednesday I only got 11 hours of sleep. When all three sleep through the night, I’m celebrating. I mean SERIOUSLY CELEBRATING. I’ll probably cry, and call everyone I know.

Aunt #2 left this week, and we’ve been trying to continue some of the activities she introduced. She did so much for the babies; elaborate baths, stroller walks everyday; she even lined them up in the bouncies and read to them – everyday. It’s amazing how much family and friends help; it makes such a difference in the babies’ lives, and something we can never repay.

Now the nanny comes just a few hours a week, for those desperate days when I need to sleep. The moment she arrives I race off to bed, hoping to maximize my sleeping time. I set the alarm for the minute she needs to leave, and sleep from about 9am to 1pm. I stumble out of bed barely alive, and relieve her without even so much as a stop to the bathroom. The stress dreams remain as well. I’m convinced I’ll never see a good nights’ sleep again. Absolutely convinced.

Finally William and Jackson parted ways. That is, William wakes more at night than Jackson. William is now the “fussiest” baby,  with Jackson coming a close second. At first, Jackson slept the least, now it’s William. I figure this is just the beginning of them switching roles. Emilia continues to distance herself from the boys. Being fraternal, Emilia is no more genetically similar than any other sibling would be. She looks different, and has a completely different personality. She’s very mellow, and smiles more frequently than the boys. First thing she does when she wakes in the morning? Rubs her eyes, and smiles at you!

On Wed. night Emilia slept 9 hours straight and Jackson awoke after 6. I rocked and soothed him back to sleep after he woke twice, and he ended up sleeping a total of 8 hours. William slept 4.5 hours from 8 – 12:30, and then woke every 3 hours after. He could not be soothed without a couple ounces of formula each time he awoke. Still, the best night of sleeping for the babies by far. I actually slept for the first time at night, about 2 hours in between William’s feedings throughout the night. Yeah! It’s getting easier, just like everyone said!

Definitely sounds like you are getting there! Was Emilia always bigger in utero than the other two? My fraternal girl is bigger than the two identical boys currently. Wondering if it is a sign of things to come…

• pam says:

I promise, you WILL sleep again. You are in the hardest, most grueling part. It WILL pass, I promise. But that’s cold comfort when you’re dealing with no sleep. I get it. I go back and read my blog entries from when the boys were this age and, well, I’m just glad those days are over. :)  Check out my January – February 2008 entries. :P

I read you blog, and it brought me some comfort. I can’t believe a human can go on with so little sleep..:) It still sounds like you did a really great job, Pam!

• Savymay99 says:

I’m so excited for you. We are taking our 2 year old Twins Nephews to the Zoo and I know what a crazy time it can be. However; it’s a 1000 miles from where they started. Keep it up girl. Soon they will feed themselves. Can you imagine? You are super woman. Say it everyday. 8).

• Keep telling yourself it will get easier, because it will. I tell ya, since you’re not breastfeeding… invest in 5-hr energy drinks! They are your best friend right now, lol! Stay positive and know you’ve got a ton of people behind you!

BTW, your babies are already bigger than my littlest guy. He’s 8mo old and only weighs 13lbs! Way to go Hanes Babies!

Thanks, Christina! I was on a feeding frenzy, and may have overdone it….I’m feeding them less now than I was a month ago, actually. About 4 oz per feeding, with 1 – 2 dropped feedings at night. I’m hoping they start to eat more during the day to make up for the lost ounces…or maybe they didn’t need that much? I’m not sure…

Knowing how desperate you are for the sleep, I’ll throw a thought your way. I read somewhere (can’t remember where!) that one of the keys to them sleeping all night is replacing the missed feedings (the ones they sleep through) throughout the day. This may mean making each feeding a little bigger (this didn’t work for us) or sneaking in an extra feed somewhere. We used to feed them at 7:30, 11:30, 3:30, 6 and 8 in an effort to replace the calories they missed by sleeping. William may actually be hungry and this approach could help… Just a thought- it did work for our trio. :-) You are in the homestretch!

I added a feeding tonight! Let’s see how they do!! :)

• Laura Alotaibi says:

Instead of adding a feeding, I just increased their volume during the day.  Once they dropped about 2 bottles they started eating more during the day.  I know you are doing an amazing job; keep it up, I see sleep in your future! I don’t know about you, but I pray for weekends when my husband can help at night :)

me, too! I love when my husband can help on the weekends!! I’ve tried increasing their intake, but I already feed them as much as they can take!

• Laura Alotaibi says:

It is a slow process, they gradually started taking 10 mls more, then 20, then an ounce….I think my babies started increasing their intake when 3 bottles were dropped, I was biting my nails (and calling the dr) until they started eating more.  Now we are down to 4 bottles per day, it really frees up some time!