Stats (these are approximations): $200.00 per month in diapers; $500.00 per month in formula; $1000 – $2000 per month in help; 1 load of baby-specific laundry per day; $4,000.00 in out-of-pocket hospital bills. To break it down further: 3-5 hours of nanny help per day; 25 bottles per day; 35 diapers per day; 3 baths per day; 6 outfits per day; hundreds of smiles per day.

When I read stats like these, I didn’t believe them. But it’s true. Thank God people donate clothes/toys/ect…I still need clothes after the age of 9 months. I’m taking donations until they’re old enough to complain about it. :)

The big goal now is getting them to sleep through the night. The boys sleep about 5 hours straight, and Emilia can sleep up to 7 or 8 hours straight.

I’m taking the fall quarter off from classes and teaching, but still attending lab meetings every week, and keeping up on my research, the most important part of the PhD program.

• Meri says:

If only you could make your research observing behavior of triplets you’d have it made! Glad to hear they are beginning the longer stretches of sleep at night! :-)

You are doing great! Once you get that extended sleep (whether it’s 5 hours or 7 hours), it only takes about a month to extend that to 10-12 hours. You will get your life back, even though it seems impossible now. I found out I was pregnant with triplets the year before I was due to submit my tenure file. I did have to delay things a bit, but everything is back on track and I feel like I can do my job again without going crazy. :-)

oh that’s the best news ever – only a month or so more to go!! I’m glad to hear you were able to keep your career on track, and that you can do it w/o going crazy!

• Laura Alotaibi says:

They will be sleeping before you know it!  We used snack bottles (2 oz) to try and get rid of 12 and 3 a.m. feedings and after a couple of nights the boys decided they didn’t want to wake up anymore.  If they woke up on a “non-feeding” time, I would put a pacifier in their mouths and they went right back to bed.  Also, it helped that they were in their own room and not ours.  Best of luck!

I’m so jealous, Laura! We’re right behind you guys! I was wondering about giving them less and less at night. I feed on demand so they don’t wake out of habit. It’s more work, but I think it will pay off.

“I’m taking donations until they’re old enough to complain about it.  :)” – I love it!!! I was just packing the shelves for our soon to arrive triplets yesterday with all their cousin’s clothes, and those of friends. Your children must pee a lot! I don’t think I used over 10 nappies a day on my previous children! Just as well I’m well stocked with boxes and boxes of nappies however. We got a heap at the baby shower – over 1200! So that should keep us going for awhile. Your sleep through the night program is awesome! Wow, you are doing so well!