6 Weeks

To remind readers, I’m now blogging about raising triplets, not detailing the lives of the triplets. I’ll try to focus more on my experiences rather than the babies themselves. I know I needed a blog like that, so let my experiences help others!

I went in for my 6 week post-partum check-up this week. The nurses visited and asked how things were going with the triplets. Being a little sleep-deprived, I nearly cried at the sight of them–these women who knew what I was in for…but I held it together long enough to tell them how much harder it is than I thought. One of the nurses nodded and said that the MOST IMPORTANT thing is getting 24/7 help lined up. HOLY COW was she right! She said you need a person for each baby and a runner (that’s 4 people AWAKE 24/7)! I’ve said this before, and will again–it really depends on the babies. Of course, you won’t know that untill they’re born.

The doc came in and offered meds for post-partum depression. He was kind, and said as a triplet mom, I would not be alone. I thought of the other night when I said to Jason “we haven’t enjoyed the babies yet”. He nodded. It’s true. We’re so overwhelmed we hardly ever use the fancy camera Jason bought. Sigh…

A note on breastfeeding/pumping: I pumped and breastfed for a while, but produced next to nothing. Even my mom, who was super pro-breastfeeding, agreed I should give it up. It’s way too hard with three babies, and the time I spent on the pump or with them on the breast was not worth the output. I just wasn’t producing enough. I had crying babies at my hands, and couldn’t take it anymore. I felt terrible about giving it up, and cried for a day over it. But, again, it’s another thing to accept with triplets. When I see moms at the store with one baby, I’m stricken with envy and guilt.

From all the forums and fellow triplet moms, I hear it gets better!  For now, I’ll be satisfied when they sleep more than 2 hours at a time–at the same time!

• Savymay99 says:

It gets better love…. Even my sister in law (with twin boys) was exhausted and running around buy when the started sleeping more and being semi dependent she started relaxing. Hope we get to meet someday. You’re my hero!

• Lori Kay says:

I just started reading your Blog (honestly have no idea how I stumbled upon it, but I’m glad I did).
    Sounds like you need a giant hug and a nap. I wish both of those things on you in the very near future.
    Hang in there!

24/7? As you said – HOLY COW!

I have already started praying that mine sleep at the same time. I’ve never been into strict on scheduling before. With single babies, you can afford to take the cues from the babies. I suppose I’m going to have to sit down and read all the horrid books on strict schedules that I’ve hated in the past. Everything is going to be different with triplets, and I already know you have to do what is necessary to cope.

I’ve had to start to increase rest times. It seems so I ironic that you spend so much time resting before hand and then so little afterwards. There should be a more just way to distribute this…

Anyway, hugs to you. Sounds completely overwhelming.

Oh, just read your last comment to me! Can’t believe you are familiar with Toowoomba! Not many American’s would be! I’m liking you even more! ;-)

24/7? As you said – HOLY COW!

Anyway, hugs to you. Sounds completely overwhelming.

I’m not sure either…I guess we’ll just see what happens! I thought I might not post any details about the babies themselves, and keep pics to a minimum. Honestly, I don’t really know where this blog is going! :)

• Grandma Pam says:

I was hopeful they were going from 3 to 4 hour feedings when I left; sorry to hear it still hasn’t happened.  Having helped with them their first 4 weeks has definitely made being back to work easier.  Nothing bothers me anymore,  job stress just doesn’t hold a candle to 3 crying babies!

• Crystal says:

It’s great the babies nursed even for a few weeks! Well done mama! I also had ppd with my second ( I have 4 now and 1 angel) The ppd gets better with time. Hang in there.

I stumbled across this blog before the babies were born and still check it every couple weeks. You guys sound like amazing parents! Congrats on the brood.

• Mommyandkai says:

I can only imagine how hard this is.  I will know in a month or so.  I have two boys ages 2 and 5, I have experience.  I am still incredibly nervous.  Always remember you love your little ones and you and your husband are doing the best you can.  Keep at it and it will get better, hopefully sooner rather than later.  I am thinking of all of you and wishing you the best.  I truly appreciate your honesty in your blog and look forward to learning more about how to do it with triplets.

Also here is an idea that was brought to me recently.  There are a lot of postpartum doulas who have completed their training and need experience before going out on their own.  I have contacted several by going through a local school that offers the training.  They sent me a list of the postpartum doulas and  a few have said they would volunteer some time.  I am not sure if you have a postpartum doula school/training in your area.  It might be worth contacting them and letting them know you are really in the need of volunteers.  These postpartum doulas are normally $35 an hour in our area and we could never afford that.  I hope that helps and you find some folks to help out.

All the best,

Kari

• Lori Vidonic says:

4 people watching the babies at all times?  Is that nurse insane?  I had no paid help and not consistant family help.  No one ever stayed up at night to watch babies.  Sleep when the babies sleep.  Which, sadly, means not much sleep for a few months.

I totally understaned where you are coming from with the pumping/breastfeeding.  I had take home babies too and it was just too much.  I went to my 6 week appointment and asked them how to quit.   The babies did just fine on formula.

You are in survival mode.  The enjoyment will come soon.  You just need to get through hell first.

• I can relate Esther! Our trips are 7 months old now and I still feel like we haven’t really gotten to enjoy them yet, or enjoy being parents. EVERYTHING is work. It has gotten a little easier as they sleep a little longer at night, but overall its never ending stress. We have at least two people at all times with our boys (including ourselves) and that is tough to coordinate every week- I can’t imagine trying to coordinate 4 people! Lastly, the last bit you wrote rang so true to me… I too get a little jealous when I see one baby. It seems so easy!! lol… Thanks for the post!

I’m glad others seemed surprised by the thought of 4 helpers around the clock. I don’t know who can afford to do that, but we certainly couldn’t. We live far away from all of our family- my mom stayed for two weeks after the babies came home and then my sister came for one week after that (and it was just me and her that week, as my husband had to leave town for his father’s funeral.) It is HARD, but it can be done and it will get better after the babies are about 8 weeks old. Most infants will sleep 5-6 hours at a stretch by their 8 week birthday. Certainly don’t turn down ANY offers for help, but know that you are a strong, capable woman who can do anything! When things are tough, just remember “this, too, will pass.” I used to repeat that to myself whenever I felt overwhelmed. My triplets were my third pregnancy- I had 4 and 6 year old boys when they were born- and I often wondered if it would be harder to have triplets first (the first child is the hardest to adjust to) or when you already have older kids who need care, too, but at least you have experience with infants and know what to expect. Hard to say!

thanks for replying Diane! I hope it gets better soon! I’m about to be w/o help on Wed., and have no idea how I’ll survive!

Good luck on your own tomorrow- you can do it! And I love the comment below about how letting them cry doesn’t do any harm. Ours used to be so fussy in the evenings that NOTHING would stop the crying- not holding, rocking, walking, bouncing- NOTHING! So, we started leaving the room and sitting alone together and talking. Funny thing was, once we left, the crying usually stopped within 10 minutes…:-)

• JP says:

Here is a survival tip, my pediatrician advised me that “no baby has ever died from crying too much.” If you can’t get to a crying baby or the crying won’t stop and it’s driving you crazy just put them in a safe spot and walk away until you can get to them. As long as you love them and do your best they won’t suffer any trauma : )

Pitts Trips