Week 37

I’m entering my 38th week of pregnancy, a.k.a., my final week of pregnancy.  Even though we’ve made it to the 38th week, we’re not guaranteed the babies will be healthy and able to avoid the NICU. That’s something we’ll find out after they are born. Still, the odds are in our favor that all babies will come home with us.The c-section is just days away, on Friday, the 10th of June at 9am.

Again, I discussed the steroid shot with doc. It’s a tough decision, but I decided to opt out of it. We’re risking a 5% chance of the babies needing the NICU for a few days to help mature their lungs, but avoiding a 100% *chance* of negative side effects for both mom and babies.

The final week of pregnancy brought on PUPPS, a rash on the belly that results in intense itchiness. It usually occurs after the 35th week, likely appearing among women carrying multiples. Scratching doesn’t help because I can’t find the itch. Ironically, my belly is numb to the touch. It gets worse at night, so sleeping is an even bigger problem than before. Two possible causes exist:

PUPP Theory One: Some investigators suggest that the rapid abdominal wall distension damages connective tissue and causes an inflammatory response.

PUPP Theory Two: One study has shown that male fetal DNA can be found in skin biopsies of the rash. Since 70% of women with PUPPP give birth to boys, a new hypothesis is that male fetal DNA acts as a skin irritant.

Both of these theories apply to me, so take your pick. I found oatmeal baths don’t help at all, but Sarna lotion does. However, by night #2 I woke to maddening itching several times throughout the night. I’ve also woken in the morning to scabby scratches all over my belly, presumably from scratching in my sleep. Sun tanning helps, and I even managed to burn my belly a little, which felt…good. I also take benedryl at night. Not sure if it helps with the itching, but it sure does help me fall asleep.

I feel pretty good during the day, but by nighttime I’m completely worn out in pain. It literally feels like my organs hurt. Sleeping brings the most pain. My body doesn’t want to lie down for any length of time. Rolling from side to side is extremely painful. Getting out of bed in the morning makes me cry. I miss sleeping in, but can’t stand to lie there in pain. This, coupled with the morning sickness, makes me very crabby in the am! Then I have at least 8 good hours before I “crash” again and feel like crap for the rest of the evening. My husband is particularly supportive despite my moodiness in the morning and evening. The best thing he does is ignore my whines and wimpers. He doesn’t take anything personally, but realizes I’m consumed to the point of distraction by what’s going on in my body.

I’ve had all the “morning” sickness any person should ever experience (seriously, who pukes during their entire pregnancy..all day??). If it weren’t for Zofran, I don’t know what I would’ve done.

I can’t gain weight (in fact I’m down a pound from last week).

Peeing in a cup while pregnant is an impossible task. I’ve asked for something else to pee into, and staff just laugh it off. But look at me. I’m too short and and the toilet is too high. No, I can’t get my arm around my belly in any way, and I certainly can’t see anything going on above my knees and below my belly. If I closed my eyes it wouldn’t matter. So there I am, bent far over the too high toilet, arm on the toilet bowl, blindly wobbling the cup around, peeing everywhere but the cup, until I finally capture some. I have to scrub up like a surgeon after I’m done!

Jason and I are both wearing very thin at this point. We expected the babies to be here about a month and a half ago, and each day has brought more contemplative anxiety. Of course, we feel extremely fortunate that I’ve been able to carry the babies to the 38th week. We’ve just psyched ourselves out!

That’s it! The next blog entry will be on Friday, by Jason (unless I go into labor before then). He bought a super special camera for the occasion, so he’ll be blogging and posting lots of pics for our friends and family. Don’t be shy about texting or facebooking, but I probably won’t be up to chatting on the phone for a least a few days!! :)

Thank you for coming on this journey with us! Your comments, emails and phone calls have given us the support we both needed, especially those coming from friends and family so far away. We’re overwhelmed by all your messages and/or gifts and cards; we’re both very grateful to have all of you in our lives.

• Pam says:

Ahhhh, I had PUPPS and didn’t know about those theories. Certainly the second one applied to me! And I hate to say it, but the boys were six weeks old before it was gone. Ugh.

• Julie says:

Are you kidding?  You’ve made it to term (ie singleton term)!!!!  Way to go!  Best wishes for good delivery!! I hope I can hang in a bit longer, but can’t imagine I’ll make it to 38 – you’re amazing!! -Julie :):):)

You’re getting there, Julie, you never know!! If the babies aren’t stressed, Dr. S will MAKE you! He would not compromise on any date before 37 weeks !! :)

• Peteralka says:

Best of luck to you on Friday! I hope the babies are able to all come home with you. If you want any breastfeeding tips, let me know- I nursed/pumped for mine for 12 months. Even with the experience of breastfeeding my older two, it was VERY difficult to get the trio nursing and I wish someone had warned me that trying to breasfeed preemie multiples was very different than nursing a singleton. My insistance on breastfeeding added at least a week of NICU time to all my babies- as soon as I allowed bottles, they were all home within 48 hours.

thanks for the tips! I’m going to do the best I can! :)

• Mommyandkai says:

I would love to touch base with you too.  I have two singleton children I nursed until 2 and 1/2.  I am looking for all the tips I can find on balancing other children with spontaneous triplets as well as nursing triplets.  All the best, Kari

• Peterelka says:

Hi Kari, I checked out your blog and tried to comment, but couldn’t because I don’t have any of the IDs required (I don’t have my own blog). I thought our stories were similar, too- my older boys were 6 and 4 when my BGG trips were born in 2009.

• Martha Klopp says:

ahhh good luck friday! it is seriously SURREAL laying on that table for the c-section. your life will change …for the better! again, GREAT JOB getting your sweet babies this far. amazing!

• Laura Alotaibi says:

You bring back so many memories!  Best of luck, I can’t wait to see pictures of the babies!!

• Jnhbower says:

My husband was in his second year in grad school at UCR when we had our twins.  I have been following this blog for a few months now and I am so amazed what a trooper you are.  How amazing to keep three babies in for this long, I was going crazy with only two!  They will most likely be coming home with you right away.  Best of luck to you and your new family!

• Heidi says:

I’ve just finished reading your whole blog. It’s about 10:30 Friday morning. Hope it all went well. I LOVED the c-section. Once that spinal block was in and all that pain in my back was gone-bliss!!
    Heidi (More the Merrier) Kendra, Kieran and Kyle-3/31/2000-heading for Junior High

• Hoping today went well for you. Looking forward to a baby pictures post!

• Mommyandkai says:

Wow, what an inspiration.  I am 25 weeks with spontaneous triplets and the doctors tell me going to 37-38 weeks is a fantasy.  I keep telling them about you.  I hope to go as far as possible.  I have two other children, both boys ages 2 and 5.  We are in for a lot of fun and learning in the next year.

I wish you both all the best and remember to take your time healing from the cesarean.  Drink a lot of water and keep moving, just no heavy lifting.

Keep us updated.  I am looking at you guys for a guide.

• Can_de_1 says:

i am currently 31 weeks with spont trips. how far did you end up making it. i really, really, am asking Jesus to let me make it full term!

I made it till 37w. 2days. The ONLY reason they took them out was fear of the ID boys sharing a sac. Really not necessary; I could’ve carried them longer. No bed rest. No NICU. Good luck!