Day 2 Update

First of all, thank you all very much for the tweets, emails, Facebook messages, and blog comments sent in over the last couple of days. They all mean so much to us during this hectic period of transition. They’ve brightened Esther’s day while she struggles a bit to recover from her c-section. Having 17+ lbs. of baby removed from your body after 37 weeks and 2 days of gestation obviously takes its toll.

Emilia, William, and Jackson are doing great. The doctors and nurses say they look perfect and have passed all their tests. They also keep telling us the “cuteness factor” is extremely high with these three as well. Not sure how they test for that but hey, we’ll take it! ;-)

Triplets Sleeping

Everyone keeps asking “How much time do they need to spend in the NICU?”. Answer: Zero! Emilia came up to our room right after Esther was moved from recovery. The identical boys (William and Jackson) came up early the next afternoon. The only reason the boys didn’t join us right away was due to the doctors and nurses not wanting to overwhelm us the very first night.

The triplets were all there (NICU) after being delivered to be briefly evaluated by the doctors, but no breathing or temperature regulation issues were observed and they all instantly took 5mL of formula from bottles. Again, quite amazing and a blessing!

Interestingly enough, and something we were totally not aware of, our hospital (UCSD Medical Center: Hillcrest) has a “level 3” NICU which is awesome, but no nursery! What’s that mean exactly? If a baby does not require time in the NICU they send the baby (or babies) straight up to the room with Mom and Dad. That’s usually fine with a singleton, but not so great for a new triplet Mom recovering from major abdominal surgery. That leaves only Dad to try and manage 3 brand new infants and all their various needs. Mom wants badly to help of course, but can’t due to pain and whatnot associated with just going through a c-section. Let’s just say, it was a long day and a half for Dad until Mom was able to get on her feet again and help here and there…

As it stands right now, Mom and triplets are doing great and we should all be going home late this afternoon!

Finally, I want to thank Esther’s Mom Pam for being here with us and spending countless hours helping prepare for the births and for helping us take care of these brand new babies. Also, big thanks to the doctors and nurses (especially Sheila, Lindsay, and Cheryl) here at UCSD Medical Center for doing everything they can to help us and for keeping Esther comfortable while she recovers. Without their patience and knowledge this just wouldn’t have been possible.

• jasa says:

I keep texting this to Esther but Jason you are of course equally welcome to text me “Food please” and I will show up at your door a few hours later with a home made meal, ready to either hold babies, or turn on my heal and leave (as needed)
    :) The “meal on demand” option makes sure you don’t end up with a fridge full of voluntary casserole dishes you can’t even get around to eat. But I am ready to be food delivery on call.

• Jennie M. says:

I don’t know why it didn’t even dawn on me that I could visit you guys at the hospital. But that’s okay, I’ll come visit you guys in Murrietta when you’re ready for some company! I’ll make some guacamole or something! :D

I cannot wait to meet the little ones. I’m so excited! Also, I recorded that KUSI news streaming thing with my phone. Tried to post it up but the file was pretty large. I’m gonna see what I can do about getting that to ya!
    A billion congrats again to your amazing family

-Jennie

• Martha Klopp says:

awww they are so perfect and adorable! congrats x 3! the c-section recovery is NOT fun but it will get noticeably better soon! !) you have it hard in that you will be caring for them before you are completely recovered :( but well worth it to making it that far and avoiding the nicu! congrats again and enjoy!

• Beth Warrem says:

Congratulations!  The babies are beautiful – absolutely amazing weights and wonderful names.  Take care, and let me know if you need anything

Fellow triplet Mom Beth

• Cyndi says:

Congrats! I know you don’t know me but I have been praying for you all. Will continue of course! So happy to know everything is going well.

• Julie's Husband says:

Wow, Jason you are an Awesome dad!!   To be able to handle three babies, so quickly great job.  I’ve only been able to feed one of our sons in the NICU with a lot of help from the nurse.

oh you guys must have had the babies!! Congrats!! :)

Believe me, taking care of three babies (and me) was probably one of the hardest things Jason has ever done. We had minimal help from the nurses and of course, we don’t have any experience with taking care of newborns. I hope you guys get the help you need and Julie’s doing ok after the c-section! It was ALOT more painful after then I realized it would be ( I don’t know if it’s because I went past 37 weeks).

Good luck and I can’t wait to hear from Julie!!

Haha. Thanks ;-) But, I almost lost my mind doing it the 1st day or so. But, it’s getting a bit easier and we work in shifts now which helps a ton! Congrats to you a Julie! Hope all is well with you all…

• Nurse Sheila says:

Hey Jason and Esther. I mentioned the babies to Lindsay the other day and she told me about your blog and said I should read it. :)  Thanks for the shout-out.  I know taking care of all three babies was extremely, extremely stressful, but you both did a great job!  I hope you 5 are doing well now!  I hope you all update the blog again!

Hi Sheila! Thanks for stopping by and writing. Again, we really appreciated your (and the other Docs/Nurses) help while we were there. Everyone is doing really well and the babies are growing so fast! We’ll post more pics in the photo section this weekend. I just need to find time to update it ;-) Oh, and Esther posts just about every week so there’s plenty to read if you have the time. Again, thanks and hope all is well with you too!

• baby three says:

hi..just came across your blog. Congratulations first of all on such healthy beautiful babies. I am also expecting triplets in the summer and am quite curious to know if you have any tips for expecting mothers of triplets. How did you manage to keep them in there for 37 weeks? Did you not gain too much weight or is there any other special trick to it like bed rest or cervical stitches? How long did it take for you to fully recover from the c-section?

I did nothing special to keep them until 37 weeks, although I stopped working around 25 weeks. No special trick at all, just luck, I think. I was incredibly sick every day of my pregnancy, so I only gained like 33 lbs! 17 was baby, and the rest blood, sacs, ect.. By fully recover you mean stop bleeding, than 4 months. The recovery was nothing short of brutal. Because the babies were not cared for AT ALL while in the hospital, I had to start caring for them immediately. I’m pretty sure the stress was why I was never really able to produce breast milk. It’s terrible to have your babies in the NICU, but I’ve heard from a few moms that that time enabled them to recover and focus on pumping while someone else was taking care of the babies.