Week 26

The psychology department threw me a baby shower last week. I was very surprised and overwhelmed by the support and thoughtfulness of everyone at school. Between the money and gift certificates, we made some big purchases for the nursery last weekend! Jason was very excited with all the baby stuff (he’s much more into cute baby stuff than I am), and he spent the entire evening oohing and ahhing over everything I brought home. A big thank-you to the psychology department!!

Nothing to report from the doc this week. Except that the babies switched positions, which is unusual. Now they’re all laying sideways. Makes sense because when I’m sitting I usually have my knees up. That position probably squished the ID boys who were originally vertical. Also, I learned that I only gained 1 pound in the last 2 weeks, all of which is probably the babies. I asked the doc if I should consume more calories, and again, the doc said no.”Don’t gain a bunch of weight”, he keeps saying. I still think I should, but since I can’t anyway, I’ll take it.

I’m allowing more and more time between little half doses of Zofran, and I didn’t throw up this week, the first week in months. Now if I could just get my appetite to come back… because I’m doing a terrible job eating. Just terrible. I really hate food and eating. I hear it only gets worse as the babies get bigger, too. I’m thinking of setting out munchies at the beginning of the day, like fruit, crackers, cheese, and veggies, and taking bites of things and I go about the day.

I’m also feeling pretty blue. And since I’m measuring past 40 weeks, it makes sense. I dug through some old triplet blogs and found that past mothers-to-be of triplets had the same issues around this time – sleepless nights, plenty of pain, loss of appetite (though I’ve never had an appetite during this pregnancy)…It’s all becoming very depressing. I can’t tell what’s wrong, but I feel pretty upset sometimes. Everything feels really scary, like I’m gonna give birth soon, but I shouldn’t. Hopefully. I can tell my body’s had enough. I think it must be hormonal, so I’m just rolling with it, hoping it passes soon.

Now I can actually SEE the babies kicking and moving through shirts and even blankets. Jason, sitting across from me, can see the pokes and kicks, too. Sometimes in the car he’ll glance at my belly and see it moving. It’s pretty…weird.

AND…I found a van. Yep, private party that also is transferring the warranty. It was exactly the same as the one for $9600 (2005 dodge grand caravan with 58,000 miles), but we’re getting it for $7400. Jason’s happy because of the warranty, and I’m happy because I got a better deal then if I had bought from the dealer.

• Marcyhanes says:

DON’T BE BLUE…THE THREE LITTLE MIRACLES WILL BE HERE SOON. LOVE, MARCY

I’m already feeling a little better. Friends from school have been visiting me, instead of me just being home all day by myself, and that seems to be helping a lot. Social support (in addition to Jason, of course) is crucial, I think!

• Anna K C says:

hormones are a bitch! i was definitely depressed from week 39-41.5 before i had my baby, so if that’s how your body is feeling, i’m sorry! but you’re doing great! and even though it probably feels like a reeeeeeeeeeeeeally long time, at least you know it’s temporary, right? congrats on the shower and the van!

oh, gosh I hope that doesn’t mean I’ll be having them soon!! I think it’s passing, I think it’s because I’m not in school, and I actually feel guilty for sitting around all day!

• Jeremy says:

Esther, your updates are an event in our home. Carey sounds the klaxon whenever you have a new post: “Week 26 is up!”

“Way ahead of you! They got a Dodge Caravan.”

It’s a little sick, I know. But hey, glad to hear you had a sweet department shower. Also glad to hear you’ve made it this far. Carey’s definitely feeling the blues/nausea stuff as well, it sounds like it’s only going to get more intense.

Thanks for posting, Esther. We’re always reading.

LOL @ Klaxon. Ha! So glad you guys find it helpful especially since you’re right behind us etc. It’s been cool to see everyone’s reactions and to receive well-wishes and whatnot on the regular. Really helps us both… Oh, and I know she follows your blogs too! So, don’t worry, the favor is being returned ;-)

yeah, I’m a little ashamed to say I’ve been reading ALL your blogs… I pretty much know your story since you guys moved from the midwest!!

• Carey says:

I’ve been thinking about you, hoping you’re feeling better. I can relate even though I know I’m far behind you. Honestly, even at 12 weeks I have that feeling of “this is just going way too fast!” I feel like I’m way bigger already than a singleton pregnancy would be and my nausea and general dislike of food is still going strong. It’s hard to be patient with my body and take it in stride, yet in some ways I just want to stop time and stay right here for awhile because at least right now the babies seem safe. You are doing so well and have made it really far in such a hard situation. I admire how you’re handling everything. It’s more than any pregnant lady should have to go through and you’re doing all you can to keep the babies safe and sound in the midst of discomfort and hormone overload. I hope at some point it gets easier for you but even if it doesn’t I know you have what it takes to make it to the finish line, healthy family in tow! :)

thanks, Carey! I hope you don’t have trouble eating like I do. My doc doesn’t recommend taking in extra calories, and has never asked me or recommended anything about eating and calories to me. He does tell me not to eat too much. Right now, I spend a large portion of my days focusing on food in some way, either eating very slowly over an hour or two, or trying to convince myself to eat something, or trying to decide what to eat. I probably get in 2000 calories a day.

• StayAtHomeTripletDad says:

Congratulations! When we were expecting our trips (they are four now) 28 weeks was a big goal for us as our OB said that everything from there was gravy. You are almost there. You might already know this but it seems that EVERYONE tells you horror stories when you are pregnant (26 weeks? Oh, I had a “friend” who had aliens take her baby at 26 weeks) and once they are born you only year about how all the other babies are doing better (3 months? Mine were reading Faulkner at 3 months). Hang in there. It is TOUGH but well worth it:)

Have fun,

Al, StayAtHomeTripletDad

Hey Al,

Thanks for the comment. Yeah, we’re excited to hit the 28 week mark for sure! It is a big milestone. I have the wife taking it easy (as much as possible). If I could chain her to the couch I would ;-) But, all in all, she’s doing great. At last check the babies were growing on schedule and the identical boys had no sign of twin-to-twin transfusion syndrome which is awesome. Again, we’ll be out of the woods with that as well at 28 weeks. Currently she’s 26 weeks 6 days. Again, thanks for the well-wishes and glad to hear about your kids doing well!